Saturday, November 5, 2011

Thankful Turkey!


This is our Turkey.
His name is .. uh .. Thankful Turkey!
Yeah, that's it. Thankful Turkey.

We (we, meaning my children and I) made Thankful Turkey this morning.
I saw this really beautiful fabric tree in a Pottery Barn Kids catalog. The tree was covered in numbered pockets so that every day in November, children could put a piece of paper in it saying what they were thankful for.
I was so in love with the item until I saw the price tag at $69!
I knew I could make something myself, and why a tree?
What's more representative of Thanksgiving than a turkey?

So off I went to get construction paper, glue & scissors.
I free-handed the entire thing.
I did a semi-circle on two different pieces of brown paper to make his body.
I grabbed a sheet of paper in various colors for the feathers.
A quarter of a sheet of brown paper for the head. (Which I think is still too oval, but oh well!)
A scrap piece of red paper for the jiggly thing below his head. (Haha. Jiggly thing - you know you like that name!)
I drew on the eyes and used scrap paper for the mouth and tiny legs.
I put another piece of brown paper (cut to match up with the body) for the "pocket".
PS, I attached everything with Tacky Glue (my favorite!).

Right after I completed it and hung it up, I sat with my babies and asked them what they were thankful for.
Dylan promptly responded with "Mater & Acer" - two of his birthday gifts he got last night that he was playing with when I asked him about this.
And Emma kept saying "I don't know. I don't know" until I gave her some examples. Then she told me her "babydoll". Haha. Silly kids!

But I'm very happy with it.
It didn't cost me a dime and I was able to construct it in no time!
I hope you enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment